KUALA LUMPUR – Running for its third consecutive year, Affin Hwang Asset Management Berhad (“Affin Hwang AM” or “the Company”) has successfully hosted its annual investment forum for the year 2017, titled ‘Navigating through a Changing World’.
The Forum took place on the 20th May, Saturday at Sime Darby Convention Centre, Mont Kiara and was well received with more than 650 participants eager to gain insights into the investment landscape against increasingly fluid developments in the markets.
Joined by our investment partners, the forum featured prominent speakers including:
- Eric Mueller, Director, Multi-Asset Strategist of BlackRock
- Wang Yu-Ming, Deputy President, Global Head of Investment & CIO – International of Nikko Asset Management
- Mallika Sachdeva, FX Strategist of Deutsche Bank; and
- Teng Chee Wai, Managing Director of Affin Hwang AM
On the local investment-front, Teng Chee Wai, Managing Director of Affin Hwang AM said that markets are bracing for a pre-election rally in the country, as the cheaper Ringgit becomes more attractive to foreign funds as well, drawing more inflows.
Teng also adds that the worst may be over for banking and property-related counters, as both sectors look poised for a turnaround after recent lacklustre performances, driven by increasingly attractive valuations and positive macro-data.
The Company’s portfolios will continue to be managed on an absolute return strategy – through tactical asset allocation and thematic-positioning in the market, including the recent spate of increased corporate activities & restructuring exercises, large-scale infrastructure projects, a commodity catch-up, and high yielding-names.
On currency markets, Mallika Sachdeva, FX Strategist of Deutsche Bank said, “After years of underperformance, we are seeing growth in emerging markets picking up across the region, as positive export growth continue to provide support for Asian currencies.”
Asia is fast regaining interest among foreign investors, attracting close to US$40 billion of fund inflows year-to-date. Mallika adds that the Ringgit is undervalued with room to catch-up with its regional peers – as bond outflows start to abate, supported by recovering exports.
On global markets, now confronted with a Trump Economy, Eric Mueller, Director, Multi-Asset Strategist of BlackRock adds that the Trump-inspired reflation-trade may have further room to run – as a synchronised pick-up in economic activity and global growth continues to surprise on the upside.
Finally, as global markets contend with new challenges including rising income inequality among population groups, rapid technology advances, and the rise of China; Wang Yu-Ming, Deputy President, Global Head of Investment & CIO – International of Nikko Asset Management maintains that investors would do well to embrace these changes and to maintain a level of flexibility and diversity in one’s investments.
– End of Press Release –
Lee Sheung Un | email@example.com | +603 2117 6592
Photos from Affin Hwang AM Investment Forum 2017
- L-R: Wang Yu-Ming (Deputy President, Global Head of Investment & CIO – International, Nikko Asset Management), Mallika Sachdeva (FX Strategist, Deutsche Bank), Tunku Dato’ Paduka Jaafar Laksmana bin Tunku Nong Jiwa (Director and Chairman of AIIMAN Asset Management Sdn Bhd) and Teng Chee Wai (Managing Director, Affin Hwang Asset Management Bhd)
- L-R: Teng Chee Wai (Managing Director, Affin Hwang Asset Management Bhd), Ibrahim Sani (Head of Business Desk, Astro Awani), Nurhisham Hussein (General Manager, Head, Economics & Capital Markets Department, EPF), Ibrahim Suffian (Merdeka Center), Wan Saiful Wan Jan (Chief Executive, Institute for Democracy and Economic Affairs) and Tunku Dato’ Paduka Jaafar Laksmana bin Tunku Nong Jiwa (Director and Chairman of AIIMAN Asset Management Sdn Bhd)
- Received recognition for achievements from international rating agencies
– Select Opportunity Fund won three best performing awards for its 2002 performance
- Expanded its business with the launch of a fixed income-equity hybrid fund ad a pure bond fund, the Select Balanced Fund and Select Bond Fund